24 July 2016

Memorial Service for TJ Olney



23 July 2016

While C.J. and I were volunteering at Chelan we heard rumors of a fatality at Blanchard. At first there was talk that it might have been a female pilot. Later we heard it was a male pilot, and still later, that it was TJ. Specifics of the accident were scarce since no pilot had seen the event. A non-pilot witness reported that “over half of “ TJ’s wing had collapsed and that he was low on the spine between the west and south launches. Too low for a reserve and not enough trees to catch his wing, TJ hit the ground hard. The witness reached him quickly but TJ died soon after, long before the EMTs could get there. An autopsy determined that he had suffered a burst aorta.

TJ’s funeral was on Monday, 18 July, but we had just returned from a week of camping at Chelan and could not get ready for a trip to Bellingham so soon. However, the pilot community, mostly NCSC the local chapter, put together a celebration of TJ’s life on Saturday the 23rd at Samish Viewpoint, aka Blanchard launch. We followed the request of the organizers and parked at Jeff and Stacy’s and got a ride up with our wings. From the number of cars filling the small parking lot and crowding the sides of the road, not many other pilots had carpooled from the Beck’s. The one DNR picnic table was supplemented by several folding tables and there were lots of potluck food, notably some good baked beans and several large sub sandwiches cut into slices. C.J. had brought a basket of blueberry-lemon muffins, one of the few other homemade goodies. Before lunch, however, Conrad Kurp led the service which featured several people speaking of their memories of TJ.

After lunch pilots began to launch into what looked like a perfect flying day – blue sky with puffy clouds and light wind from the SW. Soon hangs and paras were soaring. Conditions looked pretty benign (although I did see some pretty good surges), so C.J. and I joined the line for launch. I got off on my first inflation and found lift right off launch. I went right and found strong thermals that took me to over 1600ft from the 1200 ft takeoff. I went back along the clearcut and then found it somewhat slow to come back to the west launch again. When I crossed the spine toward the south launch I ran into strong and turbulent lift which I did not try to work. I went back to the right and stayed between 1100 and 1400 ft occasionally getting tip collapses and surges. After around 25 minutes I had had enough especially as I flew through the air above the spine again and got the washing-machine treatment. Out over the east end of the LZ I ran into enough lift to turn once but there were other wings approaching the field so I did not try to climb away from the LZ. The windsock seemed to be showing E as I came in on final but landing to the south and a bit west seemed to work fine (:32). Later C.J. came out after 30 minutes or so and at 195 ft ran into lift which Chris Ammonson had marked and climbed back up to 2400 ft drifting east and having an unusual view of the Oyster Dome from above and to the south. After an hour and some C.J. landed. I got a ride back to Beck’s with Beth and Ernie (and Guy) to pick up our vehicle. C.J. and Patricia passed me as I was heading for the LZ. I think they were giving Steve Thibault a ride to get his car at launch. Later, Patricia said conditions looked good but didn’t launch as she felt rushed because they had to get home to meet Andrey and Sabrina to loan them their kayaks. We went with CJB, Derek, and Laura-from-Mexico to the Old Edison Inn where we were joined by Chris and Patricia. C.J. and I shared a ½-lb Bow Burger and a side Caesar salad.

In addition to the people I mentioned there were lots whom I did not know. But there were a few more: the Becks, Tom Allen, Sid, Murdoch and Jan, Guy and Rita, James Pfiser, Jenn Kaatz, Emma Dionisio, Herta, Roger Brock, Casey (woodcarver, HG), Jaro, and Ralph Boirum with his new wife.


No comments: