11 August 2007

Tables, Cabinets and R/C Gliders

I finished that bistro table for the porch and then the next issue of Wood magazine had the plans for matching stools. Actually, the kitchen stool worked okay and I cut down the legs of my old classroom stool for a second seat, but it would be nice to have the stools match the table. I made the first one with the only change being to attach the seat to the legs with screws from the bottom, instead of glue, so the seats are removable just like the top of the table. After finishing the first one, I pulled the metal linen closet out of the bathroom and started building a replacement. The carcase went together pretty easily except for having to "convince" the shelves into the dados. The outside was stained dark walnut, then varathaned and the inside painted white. Putting the face frame on was a little trickier because I had to get the face frame cross members lined up with the top surface of the shelves. I installed the completed carcase in the opening even with the back of trim boards around the opening. Then I built two doors out of a 6 ft x 2 ft glued up panel and some 1x2s. After staining and varathaning and finding the right hinges, I installed them flush with the trim and put on a couple of porcelain and chrome knobs. It certainly looks nicer than the old metal cabinet (which got moved out into the garage and is now being used to hold the unused freezer containers and such).

Meanwhile, I finally got together with Scobie Puchtler at Gas Works Park and used his trainer transmitter to try out his Swyft radio controlled glider. After getting a couple of hours of "stick time" I decided to go ahead and get one so went back to his shop and got the kit, the servos, a battery set and went over to Woodcraft and got CA (high-quality super glue). Clearly I did not know what I was getting into because it took me two days just to read the direction (on PDF). I got started in mid July and, when I left for Lakeview around Aug 7, I was on the last few directions out of 190 steps. So I hope to finish it up and get with Scobie for trim and first flight so I can be flying by my birthday - maybe not soaring, but at least launching, turning and landing.


No comments: