02 May 2007

Unpleasant Medical Matters 5/2/2007

I went in for my prostate needle biopsy today. Dr. Nellans is a great urologist but the procedure was still not something high on my list of favorite things to do. Rob Kells had reminded me to ask about being sure that there was a local anesthetic in the ultrasound probe, and there was. So, no pain, but plenty of "discomfort".

Update: On Monday, I got a call from D. Nellans' office asking me to call back. Unfortunately, I picked up the voicemail message too late so I had to wait for the next day. When I called Tuesday, the assistant was busy and I had to leave a message; then we were out for most of the afternoon. Finally, Margo, the assistant, left a message saying that the results were negative. Yay!

[Background: I skipped my last annual physical exam in 2006. When I went in this year in April, Dr. Johnson called me back for a consultation the next week. My cholestrol was 132 which is a bit high, my 3-month average sugar was high, and the PSA blood test showed an increase from 2.45 to 4.60 (not bad numbers but the rate of increase was a concern). So I'm supposed to exercise more, cut out the sugar, and see Dr. Nellans for a possible prostate biopsy.]

No comments: