01 October 2010

Saddle Mountain Air time - 1:00

30 September 2010

That's 00:01:00, one minute

After a morning at the VA Medical Center in Seattle for diabetes training and consultation, I agreed with C.J. that Saddle looked like a real possibility even with the two-hour drive. We arrived around 1400 noting promising wind markers along the way especially crossing the I-90 bridge at Vantage. Steve _____ was already there doing launches and toplandings with his Sport2 hang glider. Three BLM archaeology surveyors were there as well studying something down in front of launch (and I heard later that other surveyors are looking for a route for a new set of powerlines over the Saddle Mountains). While there were stronger gusts, the base wind seemed to be from the N at 10-12 mph. I pulled my wing up and ran under it with good control but as soon as I turned around, I was snatched up into the air. "Not to worry, this happens all the time. I'll just get settled and fly out of the compression", I thought. Unfortunately, there was NO forward motion at all and soon I was moving backward at a good clip toward the wind-test tower with its cable guylines. I sideslipped as much as possible to the east hoping to get around the tower. Once I was pretty sure that I had cleared it I stood on my speed bar and pulled big ears. I still didn't get any forward penetration but managed to get on the ground safely just south and east of the tower. That was enough for the day, and we packed the wing up and headed down to put Plan B into effect.

For years we'd passed the Wanapum Dam Heritage Center and said we'd like to stop and check it out. Today we had our chance. The small Heritage Center had exhibits pertaining to the native Wanapum people who lived in the area (There are only about 60 left and they now live just a ways downstream from the dam - but no more fishing in the falls, long covered by the water behind one dam or another). Unfortunately we arrived just minutes before the center was to close so we'll have to go back for a better look sometime. From there we went to Ginkgo State Park near Vantage, built by the CCC in the '30s to preserve a bunch of petrified logs of elm, walnut, sweetgum and Douglas-fir scattered along a hillside. It was close to sundown so the dry, dusty hillside was less hot than it would have been in mid-day. In any case we got a good walk along the interpretive trails. (Then we probably ruined all the good health bennies by eating dinner at Sugar Thai in Ellensburg.) Having managed to miss the I-90 closure for blasting near Lake Keechelus by stopping to eat, we were able to sail home with no slowdowns.

No comments: